Monday, May 26, 2008

...Finding a Swim Suit

Hey ladies, this one is for you.

I'm off to Vegas this week! My best friend from college is getting married to her Navy boy, finally! I'm so flippin' excited, eager, happy for her, ready to go, ready for fun! But I bet you ladies know the hardest part of going on a fabulous trip someplace warm with pools all over the place. It's not finding space in your suitcase for those 7 pairs of shoes and bags to match for the 4 days you'll be spending there. It's not all the mani/pedi/waxing/tanning you have to do before you leave in preparation. No no, its finding a swim suit.

This is a touchy issue for us ladies. You boys have it easy. You simply wear shorts, essentially. But we women have to wear pretty much our undies. But swim suits are less supportive, more colorful, and quite complicated with all their strings and elastic and criss-cross halter tops. Let's face it, bikinis are made for stick figures with no boobs and no junk in the trunk. At least, this is my personal discovery anyway. Every woman you talk to about this will have something different to gripe about when it comes to the swim suit, because we are all different. So why are all these swim suits so much the same?

The selection of swim suits in Northern Indiana isn't exactly what you would call diverse, but still, there's lots of people here who love to take vacations and want to be prepared for those vacations, so why isn't there more of a variety out here?? That's a little specific to areas like the Midwest. But I've been to Miami, I've been to beaches other places, and the beach-side shops don't offer much more, really. You can order from Victoria's Secret catalog according to your bra size, but then again, most of their suits have padding and ties and they really don't compare to a simple bra when all is said and done. Then you lose like 6 bucks on shipping. (Can you tell I've been there before?)

I've been wearing the same suit for 2 summers now. I found it at Target of all places. But come on, its a Target swim suit, 2 years is pushing it. I wanted a new one this year, especially since I'm going to Vegas! So the search began. Four months ago. I went to every single store here that sold suits. I ordered off the internet and returned and lost money on shipping. I cried. I ranted, much like I am now, only with more curse words and personal attacks on the department stores! If you know me personally, you probably know why it is so difficult for me to find a suit that I don't fall out of, however, I'm not about to advertise that on the internet for the world to read! But come on, why does this have to be so hard???

I was ready to just say, ok, I will just wear the Target suit and hope it doesn't fall apart as I swim up to the pool-side mini bar to get my daquari. But I gave one more store a second chance. I went to TJ Maxx. Then it happened. After my third time in the fitting room, I found one that semi fit! I literally had to take in sizes 6-14 to see which was right for me. I ended up with a size 12. Ok ladies, I'm a pants size 4. Among all this swim suit shopping I found out that swim suit sizes are for some reason very different than normal clothing sizes. So don't let the tag get you down! If it looks good in the mirror, buy it. That is just what I did. I got 2 different ones, too. And the thing I love about TJ Maxx...they were only $20 a piece. Oh yes oh yes.

The brand is called Jantzen. The plain dark blue tag said 88 bucks for the 2 piece. Damn! I think I really lucked out. Find Jantzen swimsuits here! If you are around a TJ Maxx or Marshall's, I suggest you go check it out. Or, if money isn't an issue, check out the store finder on their website. Chances are though, what fits for me won't fit for you. But I'd like to know if any of you ladies have found a brand that works for you. Share it with us all, enlighten us if you will! Leave a comment, or email me if you'd rather not share it with everyone. Anything to make this process easier is greatly appreciated, am I right!?

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the same "issues" you have to consider when swimsuit shopping, hehe. I have quite the variety of swimsuits from every possible swimsuit maker, I just wanted to say congrats on finding some that fit, I know what a challenge that can be for you, I have been there for the cursing of department stores =) Have fun in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how they size swimwear, because like you, I take a much larger size in swimwear. I'm a 4-6 in normal clothes, and I ordered online a size medium and large swim bottom, and my husband thought I was nuts. He thinks I should be a small-medium. Clearly he doesn't understand how woman's swimwear works. I just know I'll end up returning them, but had to give it a shot. Congrats on your success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you found the perfect suit/suits! You are so funny. I have purposely avoided swimsuits so far this year. As the loooong winter took its toll on my bikini body. It hasn't quite warmed up enough here anyway, but the day will come! My roomie recommends Old Navy too, for future reference, since they sell separates. I will let you know how that goes I have the opposite problem as you. I will need to shop in the bootilicious department! I hope Vegas is awesome!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well let's see...it's a two piece suit, right? Take the size 12 and divide it between the two pieces and you have a size 6! :o) Just cut out the tag and enjoy the suits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While looking for bikinis online, you might have come across various bikini stores that promise attractive bikinis at cheap prices but as you buy bikini from the online shop you may come to known that the product that is delivered to you is not a genuine one. All the bikini stores operating online are not authentic bikini sellers and hence before you purchase bikini over the internet, you should verify and obtain accurate information on whether it is a genuine bikini store.

    ReplyDelete