Tuesday, May 20, 2008

...Paula Deen, ya'll!!

I normally don't like Paula. She is sort of obnoxious and quite frankly her false eyelashes make me cringe a little. But I've been sick and a couch potato lately, and she was all that on was on TV Sunday afternoon, so I tuned in. She made this yummy looking lemon cream sauce, and even though I am sick (with a head cold) it made me want it! Ok, so I sort of like Paula now.

I looked for the recipe online and I can't find it! But I enjoyed it so much, I decided to blog about it. It is a very easy thing to make, and you don't have to make a lot of it, you can just make enough for you. Its very easy to eyeball, which is what I did. I don't ever really measure unless I'm baking.

Basic ingredients:
fresh parsley, chopped (shown IN the chopper!)
some onion and fresh garlic, also chopped (not shown)
milk (not shown)
sour cream
margarine (not shown)
lemon, zest and juice
parmesan cheese (fresh cheese would be better!)
pasta of your choice (Paula used linguini, I like rotini, whole grain of course)
First, chop your onions and garlic. Put some margarine in your frying pan, and get them nice and brown. My onions and garlic look a little green because I chopped them in my Cuisinart Mini Prep Plus Processor after I chopped the parsely, and didn't clean it out. hehe (= If you don't own one of those choppers, GO GET ONE NOW. Your heat should be medium to low, you don't want to burn the garlic. I have the pasta boiling on the back burner while I'm doing all this. Don't forget about it!
Once it is brown, add your dollop of Daisy. Yep, now it is time for the sour cream. Paula used A LOT. I just scooped it out and mixed it in until it seemed creamy enough. Then I added a splash of milk. Turn your heat up a little, but keep stirring it. Now you can add your parsley (shown below), lemon juice and zest. This is where you need to taste and eyeball. After that is stirred in, add your parmesan. Again, I have no recipe, so just taste and stir and eyeball. This is the beautiful part of cooking, because now it becomes not just something to eat, but something you actually made and cared about. It's like artwork. Just be creative.
When your sauce has reached your desired consistency, taste, and lemony-ness, you can take your [cooked] pasta and just plop it into the sauce pan and mix it all together. My sauce wasn't as creamy as Paula's. (I don't see how that woman isn't 500 pounds by now!) I think I also added more cheese than she did. (I LOVE cheese...) Here is what my finished product looked like:
I think the photo is a little grey..I tried getting some natural light. But it was a nice off white and parsley-colored yumminess. If you are serving this for others, add a sprig of parsley and a twist of lemon.

So there you have it! I think it took me 15 minutes to make a portion just for myself. Very good and very easy. Perfect if you don't really cook a lot. Just keep in mind that garlic can burn if the heat is up too high, and milk/cream can scorch for the same reason. Have fun with it, ya'll!!

6 comments:

  1. your dish looks delicious! if you want to see how it stacks up to Paula's, here's her recipe:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_86434,00.html

    okay. so i am a little too familiar with the food network website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy! Thanks for the walk through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only i understand what a pot and stuff looks like... Lauren I love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some Paula Deen. I was going to paste the recipe for you as well but someone beat me to it. I am a Food Network junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a little girl, my Momma used to make pasta for all of us after the church picnic, down at the watering hole... We would dance around until she served us the pastas, and we'd sit there like good little children while she dished it out for us all to enjoy...

    ...and I'm going to show you how to make that pasta, just the way my mother used to make, right after this....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy!

    Love how you took a photo of your finished product on the floor... lol!

    ReplyDelete