Monday, September 8, 2008

...Carrots!

*Pet Peeve of the Week*
When I see plastic bottles in the trash can and there is a recycling bin right down the hall.

I've been working soooo much lately. Its taking a toll on my body, physically and mentally. Its not a lot, but I gained a pound within the last 2 or so weeks. Blah. Its a combo of going out to eat so much and not getting a chance to work out like I normally do because of work. And its going to get cold outside soon, which puts me in a less-than-desirable mood anyway!

In August, I celebrated one year of being vegetarian! And it happened to be timed so nicely that I was also asked to be a guest host on Meat Free Radio, as you can see in the previous blog post. I mentioned I would share a recipe for sauteed carrots, which I am finally getting around to. Its so easy.

Growing up, my mom used to make cooked carrots with dinner. She would simply buy the "baby" carrots and microwave them with brown sugar. And there you have it, "cooked carrots". Mushy and orangy-brown. Ick. I never really liked carrots. And every time I ate them, I got this carrot essence sort of sensation for the rest of the day in the back of my throat. I'm weird, yes we know that already! But in this recipe, I found a way to sort of tone down the carrot flavor before they are cooked.

Here's what you do:
Take carrots, baby or not...slice them up to a desired shape. I like to take normal sized carrots and slice them into little rounds.

Fill a mixing bowl with water, and dump the carrot slices in there for about 10 minutes. Mix them around every couple minutes.
This is the same process one should do before they cook potatoes, to loosen up the starches. Or you can do this to "sweat" onions to make the flavor not as intense. It actually helped that carrot essence thing I was talking about. I had none of that.

When they're done soaking, drain them and mix in some olive oil. here is where you get creative. Add spices such as rosemary or basil. Add garlic, onions, parsley. Whatever you want to be creative with. I like to add olive oil, parsley, garlic and a little lemon juice.

Once you have all your ingredients mixed into the carrots, move them to a frying pan on the stove at about medium heat.

Now just sautee. Mix them around a lot, flip them over, make sure they don't stay in one spot. After about 10 minutes or so, they look like this!



There's really no science to this, just cook them to your liking, and season them the same way. I cooked mine until some of the slices had a little bit of brown around the edges. Olive oil helps with that effect, too. Its also fun to sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top when they just come out of the pan!

Let me know if you try this, I'm interested to see what you come up with!

1 comment:

  1. OK, well they sound yummy but you should know that I used to micro wave them then would saute in a bit of butter and brown sugar. Why you may ask? It was the only way to get you to eat them! Now I usually use just a bit of margarine and dill, much tastier that way. And I've stopped the microwave cooking of all veggies..they just don't come out so good that way.
    Your mother, who fed you well! :o)

    ReplyDelete