Tuesday, March 24, 2009

...Butternut Squash

Its been a while since I've blogged about food! This is the perfect opportunity since I've never cooked a butternut squash before. I've heard so many vegetarians talk about how yummy they are, including my online/podcasting friend and vegan, Luciana!



The Joy of Cooking says to cut it in half, brush with butter and brown sugar and cinnamon, put it in a baking dish at 375 for 40 minutes. I did this, but I also added nutmeg. I also cut it up into pieces. I don't know why, but I just felt the need to cut it up into pieces! What I should have done was peel it first. I ended up eating around the skin since it was a bit hard to chew. It was messy since I covered it in butter. But yummy nonetheless!



For the main part of the dinner I made crispy parmesan tofu squares, and rice pilaf with asparagus on the side.

The tofu is simple:
Cut tofu into squares (and make sure all moisture is out of course.)
Put just enough olive oil in a pan to make sure the bottom is coated. Heat it up.
Sprinkle the cut squares with garlic, black pepper...any other spices that suit your fancy.
Just before the tofu is done frying/cooking, sprinkle it with parmesan cheese. Just enough to make the cheese crispy. And you're done!

The rice was REALLY easy:
Open box of Zataran's. Follow cooking instructions.
Just before its done, cut up and incorporate the asparagus your roommate steamed yesterday.
Done! (=


Make anything good lately? Let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Not to be dirty, but, oh lord, what I thought when I saw that first picture (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut squash! so very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am five years late, but thanks for the mention! I love, love, love the squash! The rest of the meal looks fabulous, too.

    You definitely want to peel it first, or just be lazy like me, and buy it cut and peeled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so making this tofu and rice when you come here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend that makes really good butternut squash ravioli. Do you want me to see if I can get the recipe from her? It takes quite a bit of work to make it b/c you have to make the pasta dough and stuff, but man is it good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren I am not sure if you like them but roasted sweet potatoes are good if you cut them, spears, chunks, rounds, whatever your shape preference, toss in olive oil them sprinkle on sea salt, chile powder and a pinch of salt then roast until tender. They are so yummy I eat them the next day cold.

    ReplyDelete