Thursday, October 29, 2009

...Mexican "Pizza"

Here's a photo recipe for you! Easy and fun, the Mexican pizza is a quick meal for all ages. Be creative and add your own ingredients.

What I used:
whole wheat tortilla
tempeh
vegetarian refried beans
red onion
sour cream
LaPreferida nacho cheese
salsa
chili powder

I began by slicing the tempeh into thin strips and frying it. Before I put it in the oil, I sprinkled on chili powder.



Spray your griddle with Pam. Spread beans on the tortilla and lay it down on the griddle. Keep it on low heat.



Add the cheese and toppings. I tried the La Preferida nacho cheese and wasn't so happy with it. I'd rather have used shredded cheese. It's up to you! (Also, layer order is up to you!)



Add on the tempeh. (Or, if you are a meat eater, grilled chicken or steak or shrimp!) Then cover it in salsa. To keep all layers warm, I put a pot cover over the entire thing on the griddle for a few minutes.




There's no science to figuring out when to take it off the stove. When you feel its hot enough, it is done! Then add sour cream, cut with a pizza cutter and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. You're a clever girl! If you are interested, a friend of mine from high school has a vegetarian blog you might like to check out. http://www.tatianacochran.com/

    ReplyDelete