Monday, December 21, 2009

...Lauren's No-Bake Holiday Balls (Can be made vegan!)


First of all, if you haven't already, go look at the Schweddy sketch from Saturday Night Live. It is a holiday classic that inspired the recipe you are about to read.
Click here to watch.

Now, the recipe. This is the kind of recipe you can switch out ingredients for whatever you like, add a little, take a little away. It's one of those recipes where measurements should just be a guide. The real measurements are what tastes good to you!

1 cup peanut butter
(Almond butter would be good as well.)

1 cup honey
(Agave nectar will work I think. You might want to use less to make it less sweet.)

1 and 1/8 cup non fat dry milk
(I used oatmeal---Put it in the food processor on the "grind" setting and make a powder. Add sugar to make it a little sweet. It works just the same!)

1 cup oatmeal
(I used less since I already had some oatmeal taste from the dry milk substitute above.)

1/2 cup chocolate chips
(Carob chips would be a yummy vegan alternative! Raisins would be good, too.)

dash of extract (vanilla, almond...)

1/4 cups sugar

1 tablespoon cinnamon

dash of nutmeg


Mix sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
In another larger bowl, beat remaining ingredients until well blended.
Roll into balls, whatever size you like, then roll them in the sugar blend.
Set on a plate or baking sheet, whatever will fit in the fridge. Chill for an hour or two then enjoy! That's it!

6 comments:

  1. They look and sound yummy! You could probably also sub in some ground nuts (almonds, etc.) for the milk powder since they're no-bakes. I probably wouldn't use soymilk powder in these.

    Agave is thinner, and VERY sweet, so I'd definitely use less of it.

    There are vegan chocolate chips, or sometimes I just chop up a chocolate bar and use that. I don't know if I'm "supposed" to like carob since I'm vegan, but I am just not a fan. I hate biting into something thinking it's chocolate and then being horribly disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious Lauren!

    You could also use cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips or carob.

    To Your Health!
    James Reno (editor)
    Raw-Food-Repair.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds quite tasty! What kind of texture do they have? you know how I am about textures...=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO going to try these for new years eve. They remind me of Dunkin donuts holes so they must go in my belly.

    Thank you Lauren!

    ReplyDelete