Tuesday, March 9, 2010

...Lurking Sodium


Today at the store while getting ingredients to make my dad some salsa and guacamole for when he visits me in Chicago this weekend, I was looking for some canned, diced tomatoes.

What's this? A can of diced tomatoes that says, "No salt added"?

Wait. That means plain ol' diced tomatoes in a can have salt? I looked at the back of the can. 200 MG of sodium in one small can of diced tomatoes.

Maybe it's just this brand? I start frantically turning around every single can on the shelf. 200 MG sodium was the LEAST amount I found. Needless to say, I bought the "No salt added" kind.

I want canned instead of fresh tomatoes because I can't stand the smell and taste of fresh tomatoes, makes me want to barf. Sad but true, for a vegetarian like myself, isn't it? Canned tomatoes don't really taste as tomato-y as fresh, know what I mean? (Maybe it's because of the salt they add??)

The first time I even bought a can of tomatoes was about a month ago when I thought it would be fun to try and make my own salsa. (It IS fun, and easy!) From now on I'll look for no salt added, and you should too. It's completely unnecessary; obviously, since they make a variety without added salt.

Tell me what other unexpected things you've found that contain salt! I'll post my salsa recipe soon!

4 comments:

  1. Everything, literally everything I have ever bought, has salt in it, lol. It always shocks me. And since I have blood pressure issues I have to try and watch out for how much salt I take in. Very tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like tomatoes either, any kind....but I have seen online several times how bad canned tomatoes are. You should check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like tomatoes either, any kind....but I have seen online several times how bad canned tomatoes are. You should check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always figure if it is in a can, it is full of salt. it is a cheap way to preserve things. check out the cans in your kitchen if you get bored, I bet you will be amazed by what you find.

    ReplyDelete