Wednesday, February 9, 2011
I've learned lately by experience that having packages delivered via UPS can be a headache, so I wanted to formulate and share a list of things I've learned to help make the process smoother. If you have any tips, or are a representative of UPS, please let me know of any other tips I can add, or if any of my information is inaccurate.
- When you order something that will be delivered via UPS, you will receive a tracking number. Enter it on the UPS website for detailed and up-to-date information for the whereabouts of your package.
- UPS will only deliver during work hours. If you have a 9-5 job, enter your work address for the shipping address before you complete your order.
- There's a chance they'll be absent-minded and leave the package outside your door, even if you live on a busy city street. Write a big ol' note on your door that says "DEAR UPS, USPS, FEDEX, ETC.: PLEASE *DO NOT* LEAVE PACKAGES OUTSIDE." It works.
- If you get the first yellow sticky note they leave in your absence, call this number and request that your package be held at your nearest UPS Customer Center so you can go pick it up within 5 business days. 1-800-742-5877
- Depending on the shipper/sender, if you're not around when they leave that third sticky note (even if it blows away in the blizzard of the century and you don't know about it) they will return your package to the sender and you won't be able to turn it around and you'll get a refund and just have to do it all over again. (That's why I mentioned the tip before this one)
- Follow UPS on Twitter. DO IT. Just like Comcast, it's a sure way to get good customer service. I had a question, the rep asked me to DM him my phone #, I did, and within 5 minutes HE called ME and we figured things out.
Make sure you follow Evan: @EvanAtUPS
- Finally, be nice to the people at your UPS Customer Center. If it's cold out, so is their warehouse. If it's sweltering, so is their warehouse. They are faced with every kinda crazy person wondering where the hell their package is and why can't they have it RIGHT NOW. You'd be pissy, too, if you had to deal with bad attitudes all day. Take your photo ID, fill out the paper work, and just wait. It won't take long. And if you have a question and ask nicely, it will be answered.